Saturday, July 1, 2017

Just a shitty poem

A shitty poem about AC and landlords.

For my Property Manager, the most stubborn person I know.

When I told you the AC unit wouldn't fit into my window, I wasn't joking. 
When I explained how it was impossible to install a window unit into a horizontally opening window without structural alterations being made to the window, I wasn't lying.
When I told you it would be cheaper to buy an expensive standing unit rather than have contractors come in, why didn't you believe me?


They're here - one, two, three.
Three men to work on one little window. Hell, it's not even double-pane.
But it's become a pain in my ass.
35 emails sent back and forth.
I ask for AC, he promises AC, I explain how it works, he works around my words.
He quotes the lease, I explain what it means. But still, he doesn't budge - oi vey, fuck me.

Okay, okay, the contractor comes on Monday.
At least he's nice and will do the work. The work my manager said I'd have to figure out.
The work he said I would have to hire other people to do because I don't have the tools, I don't have the skills, I don't have the goddamn proper window sill.
But joke's on you, they're doing it all, all in the window that's so pathetically small.

And wow, has it already been three weeks since his promise? The promise of cool air and escape from the heat, the promise he made and didn't think to keep.
Well, I guess he's paying for it now, going back on our agreement.
And by paying, I mean literally, he's literally paying
For the extra work, the extra men, the extra materials needs to all put in
This goddamn tiny AC
Into my tiny window
All so that I can rip it back out when it's no longer needed in the winter.

Sorry for never budging when arresting my rights, the rights to cold air and being able to sleep at night. My right to escape the heat, the right that our lease outlined for me.
But actually
Fuck you.
Sorry not sorry.

I went through the frustration, now it's melted to laughter.
Laughter because you didn't listen.
Because you're now paying more than you should have for these three contractors
To come and put a small unit in the small window of my small room in my small house
All because you were stubborn.
And refused to buy the proper unit.
And expected me to not argue about it.

Well, I can be stubborn too.
Fuck the patriarchy and fuck the student ghetto.
Landlords treat students like living trash because they think they can, they think we don't know our rights - and they're right. We don't. So learn them. Read your lease, argue your lease, and know your rights as a tenant. Leases lie, so look at your city's landlord and tenant act. Because they will do whatever they can to get money out of you and keep you living in the shittiest situation possible.

But hell no, no more. You try to make my life a living pool of sweat? Well, enjoy paying my 24-hour full-blast AC bill. Dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheerleader

It breaks my heart in the most wonderful and beautiful way to see my brother become my cheerleader. For years, we were at odds. Odd siblin...